market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Keeping greens cool

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Christine & Marlin" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Keeping greens cool
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:40:36 -0400

Now, if we could just find a way to display lettuce at market without it wilting so badly!  The heat is bad, and the wind even worse!

 I have some 1 bushel capacity plastic boxes that are about 23” long by 15” wide by 8” deep.  I bought them at a recycle center for 50 cents each about 10 years ago.  Unfortunately I have been unable to procure any more recently.  They are quite durable and have taken a lot of banging around over the years.  I can fit 6 to a dozen heads of lettuce in them depending on size.  If I put about an inch of water in the bottom and keep the tops sprinkled while at market they hold pretty well.  The boxes are a light blue color and display the greens reasonably well.  The sides keep the wind off.  You can buy plastic boxes of similar dimensions at most Wal Mart type stores but they are made of the cheap opaque plastic and usually shatter the first time they get a good lick.  If I recall, the Rubber Maid company may make more durable containers but one has to dig deeper for those.

Marlin Burkholder

Virginia