market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Keeping greens cool

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Keeping greens cool
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 13:35:33 EDT

Shelly, we have been washing our greens in a big tank than we put in the spinner and get as much water out of it as possible and at this stage we pack 3# in a plastic bag and seal the bag as good as possible with a twist tie. Then we pack it in coolers and put in walking until it is ready for transport to a market or where ever the orders are for.  We then put about a half of a bag of ice on top of all the lettuce in these bags and let the ice go wherever in the cooler which usually stays on top of these bags of greens.  Never have any greens that have had any damage from keeping it cool.

We used to have an ice machine, but it is really not very expensive to have a freezer just for Ice and have an Ice company keep it full.  It's a lot cheaper than maintaining an Ice machine that is only used part of a season.

Phil