market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Packaging

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shawnee Flowerfarmer" <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Packaging
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:25:53 -0600

The Evert Fresh company sells bags that absolutely remarkable.  I have tested their claims over and over, and I'm still dazzled.  I put cilantro in an Evert fresh bag the week before Thanksgiving, and it was still perfect on New Year's Eve.   In 2003 I talked to Mr. Evert ,and he told me that some cut flower growers were using his product to wrap the flowers for shipping.  I have wrapped my cut flower buckets in the plastic and had excellent results.(The plastic greatly improves ethelyne problems when you need to store produce and flowers in the same cooler) ( I was able to get a roll of the plastic tubing and slit it to use in sheets for wrapping larger produce and flowers.)  The bags are resusable without losing effectiveness for at least a year; they are transparent, pale green and are coated with a mineral called oya clay.  While not cheap, the price could be offset by retailing the bags to customers.

For more conventional packaging in every size and type, The Uline company is terriffic.  They will  send you a free sample if you wish.  They also carry a relatively cheap cotton bag with a drawstring--various sizes--for customers who would prefer to avoid plastic.  (These are very nice stamped with your logo.)

Shawnee, zone 5 except this year