market-farming - [Market-farming] Tomato cages

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Tomato cages
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 06:06:37 -0500

I've used concrete/hog wire cylinders for quite a while and have not
been satisfied with them. Too much labor to install and secure. Once
assembled, they are too bulky for easy storage and transport.

I'm thinking of making some cattle panel half cylinders, bent length
wise. That would make them 16' long, enough for eight 2' space
tomatoes. Small, low, wire hoop houses that the tomatoes grow through.
Several deterring factors:
1) "regular" weight panels are difficult to bend by hand; I'm thinking
of building a bending device
2) cost. At TSC, they seem to cost about $33; that would be about $4
per plant.
3) dimension. I think they are 54" wide; it looks like 42"-48" would
be closer to right. I need the bent width to be about 24" and the
height to be only about 12"-18"

Anyone done this? Comments? I guess I should be looking at lighter
weight and cheaper material.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 291 days 17 hours 59 minutes