market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Organic fertilizers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "" <herbthyme AT simcon.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Organic fertilizers
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:37:00 -0400

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about transplants still in the
flats or pots. I use a compost-based mix that has enough nutrients for
about four weeks; plants that are in the flats longer than that get a
seaweed/fish emulsion mix watered in once a week or so, and that seems
to be plenty. I like Saltwater Farms' mix as that is 3-2-2 which is a
better balance than some; but there are a lot of similar things on the
market. I use McEnroe potting soil for the mix, but that is hard to
find most places; again there are other similar things around, and as
potting soil is expensive to ship I'd try to find a source near you.

Thanks for the info!!! I love the Finger Lakes and my favorite wine is made
there!!!

I am lucky enough to have an Amish supplier close to me that I get all my
supplies from. I use the Promix because it has some nutrients in it already,
but I figure by now, they could use some more! I am using a
kelp/seaweed/fish emulsion right now that I spray on. It's too late for
making my own compost soil to use. I am done with the seeding part of it and
just need to have beautiful plants to sell! They are doing pretty well
considering they still have another 6 weeks before they can be planted!

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh