market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Another Farmers' Market Issue - Certified Scales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Another Farmers' Market Issue - Certified Scales
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:04:29 -0500

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 08:21:27AM -0400, Pat Meadows wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 07:13:31 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >I'm told if sell produce at the Farmers' Market by weight, we must use a
> >certified scale. Was then told we could avoid the high cost of certified
> >scales if we sold by the basket, bunch, bushel, each, etc.... This works
> >for melons, okra, peas, and the like, but how do you sell things like
> >squash, since they're all different sizes.
> >

> I'd do it like this: (this is just an example - the prices
> are not necessarily realistic).
>
> I'd separate them into two piles. Large ones and small
> ones. 50 cents/each for small ones. $1.00 each for large
> ones.

Around here it is common to sell lots and uncommon to sell by weight.
For many items, we pre-package in plastic or plastic mesh bags, many
with labels. 10oz spinach, 2+lb new potatoes, 10oz salad mix. Greens,
garlic, onions we have been selling in $1 bunches. Various size
baskets of more perishable stuff which needs to be groomed immediately
before sale: tomatoes, peaches. Blackberries go in 1pint baskets or
clamshells.

I hate to spend a lot of time cleaning up garlic and onions but the
clean ones sell much more readily. So, I have been offering clean
bunches for $1.50 along with not cleaned bunches for $1.

The "per each, you pick 'em out" works well, too. For example: bell
peppers $.50 each until you get down to the dregs, then 3 or 4 for $1.
I resist responding to bargaining attempts, though I might offer them
something at a lower price that might not otherwise sell.

Keep in mind that in these markets any unusual pricing scheme might
bring beneficial attention to your stall.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 294 days 19 hours 59 minutes