market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato cages

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato cages
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 12:40:09 -0500

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 04:54:16PM -0600, mtlivestock wrote:
> HAVE YOU CONSIDERED hog panels? Lighter but smaller squares in these
> panels. Shorter width too, I think. I wonder if you would need to cut some
> squares bigger to gather tomatoes? Anyone else on list using hog panels for
> cages? I think two placed in a triangle may work for row planting. Maybe?
> I am considering doing that myself, but I have not sat down and look at it
> seriously yet.

I need to get to the farm store and see what else is available.

I just took some photos of my new bed shaper being used for the first
time. The bed shape and an example cattle panel tomato cage are the
last five photos here:
http://austinfarm.org/homegrown/images/images24

The shaper needs to be a bit heavier and I think I'll shorten the arms
from which it dangles. Much thanks to whoever recommended the disc
ends.

Anyone have any ideas on semi-automated trash removal from the bed
tops? I'm thinking of putting attaching a rake to the cross arm of the
shaper.

While I'm here, and since we have all been thinking of our
un-necessarily complex income tax system, here is a photo you might
find amusing:
http://www.austinfarm.org/homegrown/political_outhouse.jpg

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 293 days 38 min minutes