market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:25:42 -0700

Like this?

(Sudduth's Strain) Brandywine first appeared in the 1889 catalog of
Johnson & Stokes of Philadelphia and by 1902 was also offered by four
additional seed companies, but soon disappeared from all commercial
catalogs. Our best selling tomato and one of the best tasting tomatoes
available to gardeners today. The seed of this strain was obtained by
tomato collector Ben Quisenberry of Big Tomato Gardens in 1980 from Dorris
Sudduth Hill whose family grew them for 80 years. Large pink beefsteak
fruits to 2 pounds. Incredibly rich, delightfully intense tomato flavor.
Indeterminate, 90 days from transplant.
http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=427&variation=&aitem=11&mitem=
61

Sonoran Gold Bush Tepary Bean - Native to the Sonoran Desert, this
drought-tolerant, golden, dry soup bean was developed by the Papago tribe
and has over 30% crude protein.
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.asp?item_no=S1061
6

New Zealand Spinach (Tetragonia expansa) It is a very old heirloom,
introduced in England in 1772 by Sir Joseph Banks. Discovered during the
South Seas expedition of Captain Cook. It does not bolt in hot weather nor
does it turn bitter and it is valued because of its high vitamin C content.
http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/vegetable/greens.html#Zealand

paul tradingpost AT gilanet.com
http://largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net