market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Marketing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Marketing
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:44:17 -0700

Absolutely, Pat. I very much use value judgments in my growing and selling,
but I didn't use the word "moral" just to avoid religious overtones.
Everybody makes value judgments whether intentional or not, for
overconsumption or sustainability and so forth. My personal values usually
mesh with practicality. I promote drought tolerant perennials in an area
where people don't know they can landscape naturally with varieties native
or suited to this dry climate and altitude. That's practical as well as
water conserving which I value. I encourage rural living and rainwater
collection, since larger NM cities have chronic water shortage. Same with
vegetables. I value local food, sustainably grown for health, for local
food security, and to save fossil fuel, but at the same time I remind
customers it's more practical - they're saving gas and travel time and the
food simply tastes better. All these are selling points. I don't know
about other places, but Madison Avenue doesn't sell here. At the same time
my belief in *right livelihood* is a value judgment. I don't expect
everybody to agree, but I try to practice it.

paul tradingpost AT gilanet.com
http://largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net