market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Marketing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Marketing
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:58:58 -0500

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:37:18 -0700, you wrote:

>When I say "wrong" I don't intent a moral judgment or anything of the sort.
>I believe the mainstream ad business we see day and night is "wrong" for a
>sensible culture, "wrong" for the economy, and so forth. Madison Avenue, as
>we call it, is all geared to creating demand while ignoring real needs that
>should be met. Which means getting people to feel they have to spend money
>for things they didn't particularly want or need to begin with. "Wrong" in
>the sense it's bogus. And of course it's only for one purpose, not to
>better humanity, not to serve peoples' needs, not to improve anyone's life,
>but to pull in business and market share for corporations pushing the
>latest overpriced gizmos for brushing your teeth to cars that tell you to
>turn left at the next corner.

OK, I'll do what you wouldn't: I'll call it morally wrong.
By *my* standards, my ethics, my morals: it's morally
wrong.

I think it's morally wrong to encourage overconsumption in a
world where (a) people are starving to death, (b) we are
running out of fossil fuel, and (c) we are polluting our
world into a runaway climatic disaster. In the face of
these things: yes, I think it's morally wrong.

I also don't think that adopting tactics that one considers
morally wrong is an honorable way of making a living. It
might be OK for those who *don't* consider it wrong. But
it's not OK for those who do.

If you want to *become* Madison Avenue, then adopt their
tactics. If you don't want to become Madison Avenue, make
your living (sell your produce in this case) in some other
manner. If a tactic is deceptive, for example, you cannot
use that tactic without becoming a deceiver.

Cheers,
Pat

--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.