market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Food Security Starts at Home

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Food Security Starts at Home
  • Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 12:55:14 -0700

So the sensible defense against their lunacy is grow our own, network locally
with other growers, save and swap seed, and learn our way around the kitchen.

“If economics is reconceived in the service of community, it will begin
with a concern for agriculture and specifically for the production of food.
This is because a healthy community will be a relatively self-sufficient one.
A community’s dependency on outsiders for its mere survival weakens it. It is
often unable to develop the policies it desires for the sake of its own
members, since its survival depends on terms dictated by others. The most
fundamental requirement for survival is food. Hence, how and where food is
grown is foundational to an economics for community.”
--Herman Daly and John Cobb
http://www.serve.com/ecobooks/comgood.htm