market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Rabbits

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robin Follette" <marketfarmer AT thymeforewe.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Rabbits
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 16:28:40 -0400

>Find someone with domesticated rabbits, males preferable. Get their
>droppings and spread on the outskirts of the garden.

The garden's full of it. We raise rabbits. I'll have to clean up under the
bucks specifically and use just that.

>A couple of good hunting cats will help keep the bunny population under
control.

We live in the middle of the woods and lost our outdoor cats to predators.
I'm not sure if it was fishers, coyotes or owls but they both disappeared in
a short time. It shows. The red squirrel, chipmonk and wild rabbit
population has increased heavily. More rabbits mean more coyotes. Some
times it seems like no happy medium.

>I've always heard that if you sprinkle blood meal around the plants, it
will
>keep rabbits away. I did try it on a water hose that they kept chewing
>through, and it worked for that.

I have some. I'll try it tonight. I have to watch the dogs. They think
it's a treat.

>The rabbits can get under any row
>cover that is not secured on both sides and
>ends or has large holes punched in them from
>deer, cats, dogs, etc..

No deer thankfully but a dog that doesn't understand the garden yet. He's
deaf so I can't yell at him to get out. Lucy, what do you hold your cover
down with? I have Agriban and just bought staples. I'll put it over hoops.
Should the staples work? How far apart?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Robin Follette
Thyme For Ewe Farm