market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Rabbits, now Outdoor Cats

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Rabbits, now Outdoor Cats
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:03:20 -0400

Joe wrote:

Dorene,
Love cats and our two are great hunting mice, voles, moles and rabbits. My
concern regarding the above solution would be the impact on the song bird
population.

I haven't noticed a decrease in songbirds at the community garden -- first, we seem to have plenty of habitat and food for them (the goldfinches fill the garden when the sunflower seeds are ripe) and second, we have a huge hawk that also hunts at the garden. The smart feral cats seem to hunt at night when the hawk isn't out -- and the songbirds are out then either.

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of