market-farming - [Market-farming] Plastic Mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Plastic Mulch
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 00:05:13 -0400

Coming up on the biointensive side, I've never had a chance to develop a feel for using plastic mulch, nor have I seen any writeups on using it in any of the organic gardening books I commonly use.

What's really keeping me confused is using plastic with organic mulches, like hay, or whatever.

What's the deal with this? Do you monitor soil temps and start piling on hay mulch to keep them below 100?

How would you, oh Chile Man, typically mulch peppers with plastic? (And will you use it THIS year?)

I'm in the Mid-Atlantic region, where it can get very hot for weeks at a time. Is it likely that if I used plastic mulch that there will be crops that I can plastic-only and not have to re-mulch with hay for coolness 'later' (It's august already here)?

Thanks -Allan