market-farming - [Market-farming] Shoes and Hats

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Shoes and Hats
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:43:05 -0400

Hi, Folks!

For shoes, I use Sloggers -- they are comfortable and last for a couple of years. I keep mine outside my door and wear them anytime I'm outside. If they get dirty, you just rinse them off with a hose.

http://www.sloggers.com/product_footwear.htm

For hats, I agree with Willie on the pith helmets -- they stay on your head without a chin strap, they keep you cool AND with the brim, they keep you from running into canes and low-lying branches when you are weeding raspberries, etc and not watching what is in front of you!

The *secret* to well-made and CHEAP pith (or sun) helmets is to buy the ones approved for use by the US Postal Service. Since you aren't a postal employee, your helmet will arrive without the US Post Office decals on them -- you can always put on your own. I've got the plastic mesh one with a Velcro head band.

Here is an example at a decent price, but you can find these at any uniform supplier.

http://www.postal-uniforms.com/postal-clothes-caps-belts.htm

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of