market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] comfortable field-worthy shoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] comfortable field-worthy shoes
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:18:17 -0400

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 12:26:26 EDT, you wrote:

>Hi farm friends,

>Most shoes hurt my feet and finding any that don't is a real trial. My
>story
>- my old feet need shoes that are designed wide ('wide last') in the ball
>of
>the foot and toe box while having a 'regular last' heel area. Not many
>shoes
>are available in double wide or wider and if they are, they might be too
>wide
>in the heel. As an example, I finally found a design of New Balance running
>shoes that are perfect - great support, great fit. But of course these are
>not built for farm work; water and dirt would wreck them in no time.

I'm not sure that water or dirt would wreck them. I wash
running shoes - I hand wash them in a bucket of warm soapy
water, then rinse them and let them sit in the sun somewhere
to dry. They come out fine, although they take a few days
to dry.

I do use running shoes in our muddy, muddy garden: I use an
old pair that I keep just for that. It's just a garden, not
a farm, so this pair of shoes doesn't get all that much
wear.

But they're certainly washable: I've been wearing and
washing running shoes for over 20 years.

Pat