market-farming - [Market-farming] Re:Organic Flowers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Carol Larsen" <sunborn AT mhtc.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re:Organic Flowers
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:23:58 -0500

I wrote:
" I checked out the SwallowTail seed place and the
Lisianthus they offer is 608 inches tall- a potting variety" Opps" I meant
6"-8" tall - too short for cutting. Of course, 608 inches tall would be too
tall - staking would be a huge headache... ha.

2 years ago I tried to get rid of a patch of comfrey which was right in the
way of my expanding enterprise. On the advice of the county ag agent I
sprayed with Spectracide weed and brush killer. The agent suggested that I
remove the dead vegetation after it died. BTW we had tried to get rid of
comfrey for 15 years off and on and we managed to reduce the area from 150'
by 40' to about 80' by 20' . It is a very very strong plant -ten days after
perk holes for a septic system were dug about 6 ft. deep there was comfrey
coming up in the bottom of the hole.
Anyway, I pulled the dead comfrey out about 10 days after spraying when it
looked dead, broke out in hives and became short of breath because the stuff
I used was systemic and I did not use gloves. Stupid stupid stupid. I did
not realize the chemical would still be in the dead leaves. That was the
last time I used anything inorganic on my land. The previous years all I
ever used was Roundup (didn't work on comfrey) and some insecticide years
ago for thrips.
The upshot is that the Spectracide did not get rid of the comfrey. I am
using the plot today because I spread a sheet of 4 mil clear plastic over
the area and let it cook for 3 summer months. Seems to have take care of 95
% of it as well as weed seeds and quack grass.

Carol Larsen
Sunborn Gardens