market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing produce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing produce
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 06:09:29 -0500

> How do I charge restaurants? How do you decide retail and wholesale
prices?
> Any great advice or resources would be greatly appreciated?

Check with your local wholesale produce provider. There's usually 2-3 main
ones and they publish weekly availability sheets, maybe even online if they
have websites. They also include info such as bad weather in Florida,
lettuce prices will peak next week. If you don't know who the produce
provider is, ask your chef.

Whatever prices you find, use them as a guide, not an exact rule. Other
posters mentioned Newfarm.org's price comparison index. That's a good place
to start since many of the prices come directly from farmer's markets, not
wholesale terminals. It's updated continuously.
http://www.newfarm.org/opx/index.shtml

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC