market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Premature "tasseling" of corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Premature "tasseling" of corn
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:27:27 -0400

What variety do you grow. Almost every early type corn will tassel around
20"-30" tall. When we tested transplanted corn in statewide test plots it
always seemed to tassel on short plants. Transplanted corn yields were not
very impressive.
My early corn seeded April 15th will be ready to pick next weekend, it will
only be 5.5 ft tall. My main season 86 day corn is tasseling today, its 4
ft tall and should shoot up to 7 ft in the next few days. Corn is very
sensitive to stress any sudden change in the environment can make it grow
in un predictable ways...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.