market-farming - [Market-farming] RE: Introduction & new to market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MeLani" <mmaysen AT alltel.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] RE: Introduction & new to market
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 21:47:12 -0500

Laurie,
I sell Fresh-cut and Dried Herbs at our Farmer's Market. The 'way' you
sell will depend on the type of area you live in.
I live in Missouri now, but came from California where herbs are a
necessity. Boy, was I in for a shock. In my area, people tend to eat
their food overcooked(IMHO). i.e.-fried and/or battered anything,
veggies are even boiled sometimes, etc. So, I learned to always
mention that fresh herbs are best when added towards the end of the
cooking time, or when quickly sautéing.

I also offer free recipes at my stand. I encourage people to ask
questions, and always take the time to point out which herb is which.
Signage also helps with this. I have some signs that give the name of
an herb, and some compatible foods beneath it. And I try to label things
well. It takes longer for customers to try something new here, but, I
try to make it as easy as possible.

Speaking of trying new things. I grew a Burgundy (Kakahou) Okra in
addition to the green. Other than color, the characteristics were
similar to the Cajun Okra. It added some spark to a stir-fry, etc, etc.
I thought it was great. Right? Wrong! You would be surprised by how
many customers would stare at it, ask about it, call out to their
friends about it, ... but, not buy it! A man once rushed up to me,
desperate for Okra. I had only the Burgundy left. He grew very
nervous. I assured him it was perfectly fine. Yes, it is definitely
edible. He declined, telling me he was "scared of it". Those were his
exact words. I replied, "Come on now, a grown man afraid of a
vegetable??". That didn't help.

MeLani

Dunsmuir Herbs
www.dunsmuirherbs.com