market-farming - [Market-farming] restaurant sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] restaurant sales
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 11:51:26 -0400

Pat Meadows wrote: <I figure just to go to the restaurant, ask to speak to
the
owner, have with me a basket of lovely fresh stuff,
attractively arranged and ask them if they'd like to buy
this type of thing regularly from me. I'd have a written
list of how much I could produce, and when it would be
available, for them to look at.>

A better way to approach chefs is to take along a catalog WITH a fresh
sample of what you can provide. What you might want to grow might not be
what the restaurant needs! It'll take a few seasons to merge what grows
well for you, that is also what chefs want. The catalog says it
all...giving you answers right then & there for any questions your chef may
have (as to projected harvest dates/length, etc. (Johnny's is an excellent
one to do this with since it contains cultural requirements).

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.marketfarming.com