market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Introduction

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: sharon_d AT excite.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Introduction
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 08:21:24 -0400

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 05:55:31 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

> Hi, my name is Sharon, and I found this list through the recent newsletter
> sent out by Johnny's Selected Seeds. I moved up to midcoast Maine last
> November from Western Mass with my husband and two daughters. I have
> always done a lot of gardening and am in the process of starting up all new
> beds here at my new home. Eventually, I'd like to sell fresh and dried
> herbs, flowers, etc, grown from my gardens, but that won't be til next
> year, I think. I also make and sell soaps and other bath products, though
> currently I am trying to replenish my stock. I would like to know how you
> sell fresh herbs to restaurants, etc, and how do you price your 'goods'?
> Hopefully, with the sun shining today, we'll get the rest of our gardens
> planted today, crossing ALL fingers and toes!!!

The first requirement, I'd think, is restaurants that
actually care about whether or not they have fresh herbs,
salad greens, veggies.

We live in a very rural area, and the problem with it, I
think, is that the few restaurants nearby probably wouldn't
CARE about fresh veggies or herbs or salad greens.
McDonalds, for instance, isn't going to buy fresh herbs...

I don't think our other few local restaurants would buy
fresh herbs or salad greens either. I could be mistaken
about this, and will at least *try* to sell them to local
restaurants next year.

I figure just to go to the restaurant, ask to speak to the
owner, have with me a basket of lovely fresh stuff,
attractively arranged and ask them if they'd like to buy
this type of thing regularly from me. I'd have a written
list of how much I could produce, and when it would be
available, for them to look at.

The nearest big town/small city is 40 miles away. That's an
80 mile roundtrip. I don't think the trip would be worth it
unless we could make $40 absolute minimum each time - it's
two hours of driving just to get there and back, not
including delivery to restaurants (plus gasoline and wear
and tear on the car, etc.). But if the local restaurants
aren't of any use to me, I'll try the ones in the nearest
big town.

Pat