market-farming - [Market-farming] introduction

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom Jasperson" <frshstrt AT baldwin-telecom.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: frshstrt AT baldwin-telecom.net
  • Subject: [Market-farming] introduction
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 13:44:44 -0500

Hi!  My name is Lu Jasperson and I am living on 20 acres in western Wisconsin.  We have only been here 2 years.  I have a 20 by 48 ft greenhouse and custom grow plants for market and home gardeners.  I also grow cut flowers and vegetables for local farmers markets.  I have had a nursery liscense for 15 years.  I also work part time for the post office as a rural carrier.  I have been married for 25 years and have 2 daughters  19  and 21.  The 19 year old attends UW- Stout.  I am toying with the idea of organic certification-we bought the 20 acres with the understanding that it had already been certified.  I  only use organic methods here and this has become quite difficult since our largest neighbor is a 4,000 head dairy operation and all farming is conventional even right next to our property line.  In nutshell that's my introduction.  Lu Jasperson