market-farming - [Market-farming] Introduction

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Eugene Wyatt" <wyatt AT catskill-merino.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Introduction
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 07:20:16 -0400

Hello all,

I heard about [market-farming] in Johnny's most recent email newsletter.

I have been raising superfine merino sheep in Sullivan County, NY since 1988,
now have 75 breeding ewes. Last year I planted ~2 acres of vegetables on my
hillsides in several plots, those neither too steep nor too wet. This is my
second year of organic certification by NOFA-NY for both vegetables and lamb.

My primary market is NYC's Greenmarket at Union Square on Friday and Saturday,
year round; I have been in Greenmarket for the last 5 years. I also do a
Sullivan Co. market in the Summer to help support it, myself and the
community.

My main market products have been merino wool spun into yarn and lamb. Income
from wool is good in the Fall and Winter months but falls off when vegetables
come into season, so I decided to raise vegetable/herbs through the Spring and
Summer to vary my produce and extend my prime selling season. And I like the
idea of closed cycle farming, minimizing external inputs; livestock and their
manure go well with crops and their residue, the sheep and vegetables like it
too ;-)

My learning curve for sheep has plateaued but the learning curve for
vegetables
has just begun and so I am here, subscribed to this list, to read it and ask
questions about vegetable growing/marketing. I can also share my many
opinions
about sheep/wool/lamb raising if questions/topics arise.

Eugene Wyatt

Catskill Superfine Merino
745 Willi Hill Road
Swan Lake, NY 12783