market-farming - [Market-farming] New Member Intro

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Joyce Paski" <jpaski AT msn.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] New Member Intro
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 21:13:27 -0500

Hello everybody!  My name is Joyce, and my family and I are retiring to northern Wisconsin next June to my father's farm.  It is the last Century Farm in Iron County.  Right now we live in the Southwest Side of Chicago where we have been gardening for 20 years in raised beds so we are confident we can at least feed ourselves.  My plans for the farm are more ambitious.  We will have an on-farm roadside stand and plan to have small fruits and vegetables, herbs, hay, and grain.  I will farm organically, but I don't know if I am willing to pay for the certification.  Oh.  And chickens.  I want to day-range chickens for meat and eggs.  Not having raised animals, I want to try something that is supposed to be simple to be sure I want to have livestock at all.  I have spent several years gathering information and reading everything I could find about what I want to do, and now I'm putting together the information and finalizing my farm plan.  It's getting to the point where, "all it takes is for someone to do it."  And I'm finally getting the knack of figuring out costs so I can correctly price my wares.  I'm looking forward to retirement!  This looks like an interesting list.  Thank you for the invitation to join and good luck to all of us in our ventures.