market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] New Member Intro

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Andrews, Shirley F." <SAndrews AT AcademicBookServices.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] New Member Intro
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 14:38:38 -0400

Judy, I have a commercial kitchen also.  I operate a bakery from my basement.  I started from scratch and did a high quality job.  Total cost for 2 room plus bath (appox 800 sq feet) was between 25-30,000 but there are many cheaper ways to go.  First you need to contact the local city or county agents if you are going to use it for a business to find out the regulations.  In Georgia this is governed by the department of Agriculture.  Basically the requirements are separate entrance from house, separate bath, floors that can be mopped, a 3-compartment sink, wash sink, and mop sink.  Counters must be non porous with stainless steel always being the best to use.  Regulations are less for agriculture production.  Even if I did not have the bakery, I don’t think I could function without this huge kitchen and the 3-compartment sink.  The main advantage is having it away from the regular kitchen so if you are involved in canning, cleaning produce, etc, you can leave and go to regular kitchen for eating.  I found the bakery cooling racks to be the best all purpose tool, they have many shelves (pans) and roll making it convenient to move large quantities.  They also can be cleaned easily by taking outside and rinsing with water hose.