market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New Member Intro

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KTCopsey AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New Member Intro
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 23:28:34 EDT

In a message dated 6/5/03 1:46:07 PM US Eastern Standard Time, SAndrews AT AcademicBookServices.com writes:

You have a commercial kitchen ?!  Soo many questions, I would like to do that as well however I have not a clue on where to start, where are the regulations for that?  Who do I call to inspect it?  Is it terribly difficult or expensive?  I wanted to retrofit my current kitchen however is that possible or more difficult ?  Thank you :o)

Judy Lynn

Judy
The local Health dept should be your first call.  They are people who define what they require over and above the state requirements.  I spent many hours trying to get them to see sense and adjust to letting me do vinegars without the kitchen but to no avail.  My basics were: 6 sinks: wash/rinse/disinfect w/bleach/ veg prep/floor/hand.  Separate entrance with self closing door, cover over light, no gaps greater that the thickness of a quarter and nonporous surfaces.  I put it into the corner of the garage (to husband dismay) and did the walls, electrics and plumbing myself.  The total cost was about $3000.  Oh and don't forget insurance!
email me off list if you need more info on this.
Katy
Living just one cornfield away from civilization