market-farming - [Market-farming] ADMIN: list etiquette/new subscribers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] ADMIN: list etiquette/new subscribers
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 22:38:57 -0400

Hello to all the new members! We're so glad to meet you and read your
introductions. For those of you already farming, we hope you find this list
informative and timely. For those of you dreaming of farming some day,
this list is a great place to start!

I'd like to point out a few tips on how to maximize your experience while
participating in this community. This list has been in existence since
January 2000, with many of the charter subscribers still here. We have both
large and small acreage farmers, backyard market growers, extension agents,
university faculty staff, business people and other folks from agriculture
subscribed. It's a virtual wealth of experience at your finger tips, with
everyone eager & willing to lend a hand, but only if posts are kept concise
and on-topic. This list isn't the place for idle chit-chat. Idle chit-chat
is the quickest way to drive off the very people you need to answer your
questions or help you out. We're friendly, but busy.

This list has a general ebb and flow depending on the seasons. Volume
increases in late fall, really jumps up in January and February, and
gradually dies down once spring hits, to almost zero posts during the
summer. So don't worry if the list appears dead, it's just dormant...come
October posts will straggle in asking how the year went for everyone.

Please read the list faqs at http://www.marketfarming.net/mflistfaq.asp
before posting to make sure you're following the etiquette for this list.
If you have any questions, please email me personally...do not send
questions to the list! I'll answer you asap.

Now, just a few highlights:

1. Please do not send html posts. Posts must be plain text. If you don't
know how to do this, email me. Many subscribers, due to the rural nature of
our profession, are on slow or limited connections so large posts can't be
tolerated. Posting limit is set at 20k, which is normally enough to allow
your post and a few lines of the post to which you are replying. It's also
set low enough to prevent viruses from coming through the list. Also, when
you send your post html, it converts to gobbledygook for those on digest!

2. SNIP your posts. When you reply to a post, only include a line or two to
refresh our memories, NOT the whole post or headers (addresses). This makes
reading more difficult for everyone when we have to search through the text
to find the real, current message. It also makes the digest even longer for
those subscribed to the once-a-day mailing.

3. Finally, check your CAPS lock key. Posting in all caps is the equivalent
of shouting.

Again, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me...I would say
call, but I can't hear the phone on the tractor ; )))

Happy posting! (Thanks Rob Johnston...do y'all sell seeds to grow new
keyboards?? mine is smokin' ; )))))

Liz Pike
List Administrator
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.marketfarming.com
http://www.laughingbrookfarm.com

  • [Market-farming] ADMIN: list etiquette/new subscribers, Liz Pike, 06/05/2003