market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Transporting Produce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Transporting Produce
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 07:10:46 -0500

I have been very successful with using the "blue ice" on the bottom of my
coolers and then I cover the ice with a folded bath towel and place the
produce on top either unbagged if its heads of lettuce, bunches of chard,
etc. or bagged as in spinach or greens. They stay nicely through the day
and I have even, before we got a reach-in cooler, put them in the coolers
the evening before on blue ice and loaded them in the truck and they kept
well. I like the blue ice because it doesn't melt all over but does stay
cold a long time.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas