market-farming - [Market-farming] Decent family income and life

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Decent family income and life
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 18:01:37 -0600

Del Williams wrote:
> Give me a proper dollar figure for a family to have a decent life.
>
> And while you are at it, define, "decent life".

While it will vary depending upon cost of living and the views of each
family, my personal number is $50,000 as a minimum. This roughly equates to
around a $30,000 salary at a job with benefits.

Recently, there is increasing evidence through sociological studies (NPR had
one in the last day) that point out that wealthier people are often happier
than the less wealthy. But each of has to ask ourselves how much is enough?

Decent life is highly dependent on your own values. To me decent means that
you are satisfied with your income to at least meet your basic desires in
life and still have something to invest for the future, to be doing work
that is satisfying to you, and live in an environment that you and your
family prefer.

This will differ widely of course between different folks. Most of us on
this list probably prefer rural life to city or suburban life ...

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce