market-farming - [Market-farming] Farm class access through extension

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Farm class access through extension
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 09:24:57 -0600

Dave Inglis wrote:
> The following member site has a brief outline of the program that
> supplements the training taking place on each individual member farm. I
> would be happy to answer any questions, within reason, after you have
> seen the sight.
>
> http://www.brookfieldfarm.org/craft.html

The program outline looks very good. Do you not have extension programs in
your area that already cover much of this? We have an excellent five year
program here in Wisconsin that has Farm Business and Management Instructors
in much of the state, especially highly agricultural areas such as SW
Wisconsin.

Although our classes are geared primarily for commodity programs and
especially for dairy production, much of the information has cross over
value and some of it you need to know anyway no matter what kind of farming
you do. Our instructor's speciality and his main interest and expertise is
in economic calculations so he is willing to set things up for each farm
that wants help in spreadsheeting their farm and doing "what if" types of
calcs.

The program runs for five years and meets several times a month in the
evening for a couple of hours during the winter months. After milking time
of course:) Although we graduated from the class last year, Judy found that
a number of the classes they were having this year looked too interesting to
pass up, so she signed up again. And since it is in her name this time, if
she continues for 4 more years, she will have her name on the certificate of
completion:)

By the way, the cost is heavily subsidized by the state and although I
estimate that the program costs over $1,000 per student, the cost to the
student is only around $200 per year. In addition to the class, it also
includes field trips, farm tours, and most important, direct one-to-one farm
instructor visits every other month or so, plus additional help if needed.
And the farm visits (which are worth a whole lot more than $200 by
themselves), are based strictly on what you want help with.

We have been significantly advantaged by the knowledge that we have received
from this class. If nothing else, you get a much better perspective on why
things are the way they are in farming at this time, what the trends are,
problem solving, and networking with other farmers, even if they are in
commodity production.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm