market-farming - [Market-farming] Social fabric and farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Social fabric and farming
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 18:33:23 -0600

Rick asked David Inglis:
> > What kind of new social fabric to you propose?

David responded:
> I do not propose any, just see the need for one [or many]. To paraphrase
> my friend Hugh Williams 'we need to come together not with answers but
> with an open heart.'

This may fall into the area of "feel good" but has no substance.

> For me it would be at least:
>
> One created and controlled by the participants. [ no, the 'so called'
> democracy we are busily exporting does not count, though a Jeffersonian
> one might form the starting point of something new]
> One not based on blood, ethnic or national ties.
> One that does not require everyone to live its way to succeed or require
> any kind of imposition. In other words - based on free association.

We have that now. At least in some parts of the world. Primarily one country
.... The United States of America. It is true that other countries, such as
India, and in many poor countries, your blood and ethnicity is paramount.
But not here in the U.S. Is it perfect ... no. But compared to anywhere else
.... it is the one breath of fresh air in the world.

As an example. Try and start a dairy farm in Canada some time. First you
have to have "quota" from the government to have permission to sell your
milk inside the country. Did I mention that the Candadian price for quota is
around $20,000 ... per cow?

Until you come up with some kind of framework, it does not seem like it is
even at the discussion stage yet between potential participants.

Ayn Rand kind of world?

Sincerely,

Rick Williams