market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Social fabric and farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT bcn.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Social fabric and farming
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 14:54:00 -0500

> Rick asked David Inglis:
> > > What kind of new social fabric to you propose?
> David responded:
> > I do not propose any, just see the need for one [or many]. To
> > paraphrase my friend Hugh Williams 'we need to come
> together not with
> > answers but with an open heart.'
RW
> This may fall into the area of "feel good" but has no substance.

Our farm group has so far worked together on the training of new
farmers. In the last eight years, at absolutely no cash or Capital cost,
I have, through this group, [C.R.A.F.T. ], trained ten people who are
now producing food full time. There are 15 or so of us in this group and
most of the others have had similar results; that's 150 new farmers and
you are right; that makes me feel really good! The work of this group
has been replicated nationwide. We are now moving into new areas of
cooperation.

> We have that now. At least in some parts of the world.
> Primarily one country .... The United States of America. It
> is true that other countries, such as India, and in many poor
> countries, your blood and ethnicity is paramount. But not
> here in the U.S.

Have you talked to any black folk recently?

David Inglis
Mahaiwe Harvest C.S.A.