market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Relational/Network Marketing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Relational/Network Marketing
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 19:42:21 -0600

Hello, Marie.

In your area, the poultry will be the most profitable. The numbers starting
to come out of the southern part of the state show almost $2000 profit per
acre with pastured broilers. I would still diversify with some ruminants
such as beef animals and sheep and goats if your fences will hold them. The
advantage to the smaller ruminants is a higher return. You can run around 6
sheep for one cow and they multiply at around 1.6 per year due to twins and
occasional triplets. The goats require browse, so a large group of goats
can eat themselves out of forage in a short period.

A word of caution on the poultry. The industry is beginning to see the
pastured poultry producer as a threat and have already made some changes
within the USDA regarding pastured poultry. The state health departments
will be the channel that will affect our state, so keep a sharp listen for
anything in your area pertaining to this.

Rick H.