market-farming - [Market-farming] RE: Renewable energy on the farm. Was Greenhouse- milk jugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Heininger" <xxchef AT wmonline.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] RE: Renewable energy on the farm. Was Greenhouse- milk jugs
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 18:44:19 -0700

Hey gang-

I must admit I've been doing more deleting of posts here than reading in
recent weeks but this topic is of immediate interest to me. We are 100%
solar and wind operated and while, granted, we are miniscule in size we're
still here, making it happen, every day. We are in the process of getting
our Grade "A" certification for our small goat dairy and energy consumption
is one of the key factors we have to look at in any endeavor or expansion.

Anyway, the reason I'm writing is that the most recent edition (February
2003) of "The Furrow" magazine - John Deere Company's monthly house
publication is completely devoted to just this issue - "Farm Fresh Energy".
There is a very good series of articles ":Heating with Methane"(a manure
digester in operation), "Selling the Wind" (wind farms), "Grain to Burn"
(heating with grains as fuels), "Sun Powered Rain" (solar powered
irrigation), "Ethanol: Corn and Beyond", "Bio-diesel" and several more that
are well written and worth exploring.

Environmental alternatives is nothing new to John Deere. We currently use
100% biodegradable hydraulic fluid in all our equipment on the ranch. It is
corn oil based and is manufactured by... John Deere. It costs about 25%
more (I think) than the standard fossil fuel-based fluid but it's worth it
to us.

Take a look at this publication if you get a chance. Here's their URL
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ag/furrow/

Just a satisfied customer, nothing more.
David
East-Central Arizona