market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Don Palmer <berryman70 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 06:13:36 -0800 (PST)

Hello Rick,
Have you thought about any type of agriculture
entertainment or attractions to help bring folks out
to your farm? A small farm animal display is not to
hard to maintain, a couple friendly beefers, goats, a
lamb, ect. We have found it to be a fairly good draw
to our stand, and especially kids remember it, and it
makes for a good customer return. Agri-entertainment
is getting to be big thoughout the country.
Does your county or state promote direct marketing
with internet listings or tourist hand out maps? If so
get listed with them. Ny state has a real nice hand
out of farm markets and it is placed in rest areas and
tourist stops. Although the convenience of a
supermarket is hard to compete with, promoting the
scenic aspects with a nice ride out to the farm where
the product is produced, and something to see and do
after they get there will help.
Here's a couple of links that we have in our county
and state:
http://www.cce.cornell.edu/chautauqua/agriculture/AgMarkets/Chau_Farm.html
http://www.nysfdma.com/
http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/FandMSearch.html