market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:52:33 -0500

> Something to remember here, all markets are not alike. At our market, the
> hours are 6:00 to sell out.

And I said >At our market, the only acceptable reason a vendor
could leave early was if they sold out. <

Selling out and going home looks better than having people milling around an
empty, occupied booth.

Our rules were established to prevent those who showed up and set up in the
morning (taking space from other farmers wanting in) from taking down their
booth while the market was busy. Having a booth close up...that obviously
still has goods to sell in the middle of a busy market...looks bad to
customers. They begin to look around & ask if the market is closing.

We had a few sandwich signs made up saying "Sold Out" the farmer could get
from a supply closet to set in front of their booths while they packed up.
Customers readily understood without getting that sense of being pushed out
of a store seconds before the doors lock. They also learned to come early
to get better selections, and that farming is fickle and not every week will
there be enough to keep a booth open during full opening hours.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.marketfarming.com