market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: "'market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 09:21:18 -0600

> > I've heard of markets where sellers are not allowed to leave before the
> > end of the market. What are they? Prisoners?
>
> No. Business people. Until farmers remember that part of their operation
> they will always struggle.
>
> Liz Pike

Something to remember here, all markets are not alike. At our market, the
hours are 6:00 to sell out. For us, that may be 10:30 (and we're probably
the largest "farmer" at our market). For someone with a load of sweet corn,
that may be 7:30. For the peddlers, that is never, and they bring the same
stuff back the next market day. No way should the person with a pickup
truck of sweet corn have to stick around until the peddlers, who are not
going home to do any farming, decide to pack up their leftovers and go home
- usually 3:00 or later. Farmers may well need to go home and do some
farming, and that is also good business - better than sitting at the market
once you are sold out. Big country, lots of different ways of doing things,
not necessarily better or worse, just different. Alison Wiediger, Au
Naturel Farm