market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 21:20:09 -0600

Rick H. wrote:
> You must have a country club market. The market vendors in Missouri are
> farmers and do it for the money.

There just aren't enough customers in our area to provide for a family
income for most direct farm marketers. We have a few CSA's, one large one
that is the exception, but even with their gross sales, their net is not
fantastic.

You simply can not get blood out of a turnip no matter how much you might
wish to.

You are fortunate if you can do well in your area and I wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce