market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: "'market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 14:53:11 -0600

Actually, when I joined the farmers' market we use, the "old guard" did
exactly that. Before each market, they looked at what they had paid for
what they were selling, and told everyone what they had to charge. I
refused to do that, figured I could set my own prices according to what it
cost me to grow. Was even cheeky enough to suggest that if they were
growing what they sold instead of buying most of it, they wouldn't feel so
constrained to set prices. I even "talked" to a lawyer customer about it,
but my pockets weren't (and still aren't) deep enough to hire one. That's
been 13 years ago, and they haven't forgiven me yet..... I think we can
help new folks figure out how to price. It's a hard thing for new people,
and sometimes even for old hands. But, offering to help is as far as I
would be willing to go.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm