market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Agroterrorism

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Agroterrorism
  • Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 12:36:16 -0500

Ed my farm has signs all over the property that say we are organic and
so the FBI (or a neighboring farmer) could assume (correctly)
antibiotech but would be incorrect to assume we are terrorists. So who
do I call if it is gov't trashing my farm and in other ways impeding my
farming because I fall into some vague MO. here is the description of a
terrorist ed, according to the article. me, Allison, Leigh, Del and many
other do fit this vague MO. I figure fireworks are explosives and many
Americans possess them. And there are reasons to use explosives on a
farm as have been mentioned.

<i>If your neighbor hates genetically modified corn, and he experiments
with explosives in the backyard, you probably should report him to local
police, an FBI agent told farmers.

Reporting unusual activities is a key to fighting agroterrorism, said
Jerry Lyons, an FBI special agent who serves in the weapons of mass
destruction countermeasures unit. "You might have one piece of the
puzzle that could solve the case."

Lyons and former Lt. Gov. John H. Hager, now assistant to the governor
for commonwealth preparedness, addressed farmers and agriculture leaders
on December 2, during the three-day annual convention of the Virginia
Farm Bureau Federation.

When asked for clues that someone might be interested in engaging in
terrorism, Lyons said a potential bioterrorist might strongly oppose the
consumption of milk or the use of genetically modified crops. However,
it's difficult to put together a profile of a domestic or international
terrorist, he noted.t?</i>

I know this sounds paranoid but we live in paranoid times and this sort
of thing is already happening to all men of middle east origins in this
country-they must register and many are held for days and weeks with
absolutely no reason by the US gov't other than some vague suspicion
that ALL men who are dark skinned and Muslim are terrorists. And since
most FBI agents probably have never set foot on a farm or know any
farmers most would not understand why there should be explosives or the
materials (anhydrous ammonia, etc.,) to make them on a farm and that
would make a lot farmers suspect and could also lead to some false arrests.

Lucy Goodman
New Paris, OH
Boulder Belt Organics
Looking for local food? Check out
http://www.localharvest.org
We have, I fear, confused power with greatness
Stewart I. Udall