market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Agroterrorism

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Agroterrorism
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:23:48 -0600

Del Williams wrote:
> Can you imagine what it would cost to put in these kinds of security
> measures on most farms? I can't think of a single farm around
> here that has
> a fence all the way around it much less the ability to control
> access to the
> property in the ways suggested here.

Our farm is most of four 40A parcels so the fencing requirement is 2.5 miles
with mostly four strands. If we did not have a legal fence, we would have no
recourse if any livestock entered our farm. But it would have no effect
against sabotage by a determined terrorist who can cut the fence in seconds.

If you had high value livestock production, such as both my wife's family
and my family had at one time, you would be forced to have security measures
in today's world. Just a fact of life due to the eco-terrorists and now the
ag-terrorists. We are talking about some very destructive and sick people
who think nothing of destroying a farmer's lifetime of work. This has
happened in Wisconsin several times with fur farms being the primariy
target.

The eco-terrorists do curtail our freedoms, just as all terrorist do, since
we can not be as open a society as we once were. They also are a boon the
portion of the right wing who want to have a more militaristic society.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams