market-farming - Re: Farm Bureau

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farm Bureau
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 17:28:34 -0500

Liz Pike wrote:
> all I can say for Rick W & Bob is to never move from your states.
> Your FBs
> sound wonderful....not so elsewhere.

The county FB and the State FB organizations are whatever the farmers in
that state want it to be. Whoever shows up decides for everyone else.

You could be the ones doing the deciding.

My prediction is that over the next few decades the FB will gradually change
toward the smaller farms, IF those farmers decide to participate.

The irony is that the other farm groups, NFU and NFO, have never provided
services, particularly insurance services for the farmer like the FB has.
And it really hits home to market farmers since most of us have to protect
the assets we have and MUST have liability insurance. The FB has insurance
products that we need to have. Other groups have chosen not to be involved.

If you go to other insurers, do they have umbrella policies that are
affordable? Or even available at any price?

May I ask what other companies provide liability insurance for members of
the list?

Try going to State Farm sometime. I question whether they will help you.

By the way, did you ever wonder why State Farm Insurance got its name? My
understanding was that it was an Illinois FB mutual company, but got so far
away from servicing farmers and doing it beyond Illinois, that the FB
disassociated with it a long time ago. (Probably a bad mistake:)

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers