market-farming - RE: true definition of mf

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: true definition of mf
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 19:42:14 -0500

Liz Pike wrote:
> Rick, to be quite honest, I'm weary of your posts. So I'll start
> exercising
> my option of using the delete key on this thread, unless I start getting
> complaints, and then I'll have to curtail this thread.
>
> I agree to disagree with you. Maybe you read too fast, or have a
> hard time
> understanding why some farmers on this list choose to remain small. It
> isn't because we don't want to expand (nice corporate word). Just because
> we don't increase our acreage, doesn't mean we decrease our income or
> efforts. We've just chosen to exercise our democratic rights, and say
> "enough is enough". Like I'm saying here, in my last post on this matter.

At Misty Ridge, we have chosen the same thing. We are very small indeed. Not
large enough to actually make a living doing this in the manner that we do.
But that is what we choose to do because of our interest in sustainable
agriculture. I hope no one gets the impression that we are in some way
opposed to small farms since that is up to the individual farmer. It is only
when the small farm demands a living that I have disagreement.

> As far as they are concerned, I'm not much
> better than the compost the "fringe" farmers use (care to define fringe
> farmers--I'd love to hear how they harvest that fringe). But
> what I really
> want to know is "involved in what"??? Their annual bbq?? Sure I go. And
> visit with my neighbors who discuss what other organizations are doing to
> help farmers. And no, I'm not "extremely unhappy" with them, except the
> caterer they used last time. I don't waste energy even thinking
> about them,
> except twice a year when I go to pay my premiums.

This does not sound good at all. What it sounds like to me is that more
people need to "infiltrate" their local farm bureau and let them know that
there are other views. Your situation sounds quite different than ours. In
Wisconsin, it would be unacceptable to disparge either large or small farmer
at the Farm Bureau. Othewise, how can you have a size neutral organization?

Rick wrote these words:
> >There are times I would love to just be able to wave a magic
> wand and make
> it possible
> >for everyone who wants to farm at their comfort level, size, style, etc.
> >could do so and make a living at it.

> Again, you twisted my words. Not everyone here is trying to make
> a living at
> it.

I am not twisting anyones words, Liz. That is something that I have often
said on other lists as well. It is something that as much as I would want
to, it just can not be done. But our society needs to make some decisions
about small farms. And that is whether we want to go the EU route and
heavily subsidize the smaller farms as they do because of other values such
as the esthetic and tourist reasons. It appears that we are not going to do
much of that, but I can support it within limits. (I have been severely
reamed on another list for saying that as it was viewed as an attack on
large farms).

The interesting thing is that the new MILC program does exactly what I
proposed a couple of years ago. It only pays a subsidy up to the milk
production of around a typical output of a 140 cow dairy farm. After that,
zero money goes to the large farms. And there are new checks and balances
that make it nearly impossible (we hope) to attempt to re-allocate ownership
of the farm to have the multiple units that are currently allowed.

> Many here have partners with off-farm jobs so they can more easily get
> medical insurance, or just because the partner doesn't share the
> interest in
> farming. Doesn't matter what the reasons people here farm, or why they
> choose to participate in some organizations and not others, available to
> farmers.

They can take a head in the sand approach, and many commodity farmers do too
because they figure that someone else will do for them. And they are right.

It is the people who show up for the meeting who decide for the rest of us.

> As far as changing the constitution, I vote for you to be our
> representative. You have so many views you apparently want to
> cram down our
> throats, are quite verbose, and don't listen. All the hallmarks
> of a great
> politician.

What views do you think I want to cram down peoples throats?

I think you are being a bit premature. And using the broad brush approach
that I see in some others here. I do not have any problems with people
disagreeing with my view and challenging me with specifics, so if you have a
criticism, how about quoting what I said and then pointing out where you see
the disagreement?

> This is the last I have to say on this! Back to farming.......

It is all farming, Liz, it is a part of the whole. Sometimes, it is the most
important part. Because policy and political issues affect our lives more
and more every day as new laws are passed and administered to us.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers