market-farming - true definition of mf

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: true definition of mf
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 07:39:51 -0400

Rick, to be quite honest, I'm weary of your posts. So I'll start exercising
my option of using the delete key on this thread, unless I start getting
complaints, and then I'll have to curtail this thread.

I agree to disagree with you. Maybe you read too fast, or have a hard time
understanding why some farmers on this list choose to remain small. It
isn't because we don't want to expand (nice corporate word). Just because
we don't increase our acreage, doesn't mean we decrease our income or
efforts. We've just chosen to exercise our democratic rights, and say
"enough is enough". Like I'm saying here, in my last post on this matter.

>I bet you have never been involved have you, in order to make such
statements?

By getting involved you mean dusting offices?? or doing their landscaping
or passing out brochures maybe?? Unfortunately, that is the only
participation they want from me since I do not farm several hundred acres,
run cows, or grow tobacco (though I love to work in it). I don't meet their
criteria, and don't care to. As far as they are concerned, I'm not much
better than the compost the "fringe" farmers use (care to define fringe
farmers--I'd love to hear how they harvest that fringe). But what I really
want to know is "involved in what"??? Their annual bbq?? Sure I go. And
visit with my neighbors who discuss what other organizations are doing to
help farmers. And no, I'm not "extremely unhappy" with them, except the
caterer they used last time. I don't waste energy even thinking about them,
except twice a year when I go to pay my premiums.

>There are times I would love to just be able to wave a magic wand and make
it possible
>for everyone who wants to farm at their comfort level, size, style, etc.
>could do so and make a living at it.

Again, you twisted my words. Not everyone here is trying to make a living at
it. And if all they can earn is XYZ dollars, and that's what they're living
on, then they have to be satisfied, or adapt. I did financially well on 1/2
acre of intensively managed permanent beds, and an additional 3 acres of
sunflowers. Was it a living wage?? No. Could I have increased my acreage
to make a living wage?? Yes, but I didn't want to. I only wanted to farm
what I could physically manage myself. I didn't want outside help. So I
had to adapt my needs & expectations to the money I did make.

Many here have partners with off-farm jobs so they can more easily get
medical insurance, or just because the partner doesn't share the interest in
farming. Doesn't matter what the reasons people here farm, or why they
choose to participate in some organizations and not others, available to
farmers.

As far as changing the constitution, I vote for you to be our
representative. You have so many views you apparently want to cram down our
throats, are quite verbose, and don't listen. All the hallmarks of a great
politician.

This is the last I have to say on this! Back to farming.......

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC