market-farming - RE: true definition of mf

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: true definition of mf
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 20:12:55 -0500

Liz Pike wrote:
> that's about as unAmerican as I've ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Where do you
> get off telling us when we can and can't "demand" a living at whatever the
> hell we want to do??????

I am hoping that was a tongue-in-cheek off the cuff kind of comment:)

Rick said:
> >how about quoting what I said and then pointing out where you see
> >the disagreement?

> Because if I did, I wouldn't have time to do anything else, like
> eat, sleep,
> or .......

Then I respectfully suggest that you not use a broad brush on people. Such
as when you say things like:
> "You have so many views you apparently want to
> cram down our
> throats, are quite verbose, and don't listen."

I try to listen and then respond. And try to respond to specific things the
other person has said. NOT innuendo attacks as you did above, which I feel
are very inappropriate for any list owner to ever do to a list member.

Is it perhaps because my response is not what you want to hear?

Maybe you feel differently than I do on this, but as a list owner, I think
that you have an obligation to try and allow for divergent views to be
discussed and not yourself challenge someone and then claim that you don't
have time to even show what it is you are disagreeing with.

It is not possible for the other party to be sure what or where the
criticism lies and very difficult to respond to. And it can lead to a very
hostile response instead of one that is more of a discussion mode.

> Let's drop the pontificating, Rick. Political and legal issues affect
> farms, but as a farmer, you should realize the time crunch everyone is in
> now, right here are harvest, & putting farms to sleep for the winter.
> You've had your say. We understand where you're coming from, so why don't
> you give it a rest??

I am a very reasonable person and like to discuss all kinds of issues,
including even the practical ones as well as the deeper ones that are the
ones that affect our lives the most. I do allocate considerable time to this
in addition to a full time job plus several hours of commuting time. Judy is
full time farming now so that is a great help. But tonight when I was
checking water tanks wouldn't you know, ... loose steer ... but within the
farm perimeter ... so just wanted to move him back, carefully opening the
fence and oh no ... 6 more come the other way. Half mile back to the house
to get help for a roundup...getting dark, etc. etc. ) That is one advantage
of produce. It doesn't move around.

> Your pit bull attitude about everything anyone says here is taking
> "discussion" to a whole other realm that does NOT belong on this list. If
> you have issues, do so privately.

Hmmm, either you have reasoned discussion or ... what? People throwing a few
epithets back and forth and then that is supposed to be sufficient?

The internet can be frustrating for those who are of the "sound bite
mentality" that our society seems to be heading for.
It is unlike a personal meeting face to face. It can literally takes weeks
to discuss a subject with different views. What can take a relatively short
time face to face because you can have a faster interaction and easier time
explaining yourself, does take longer in the forum type approach. But it can
be more useful because if people are reasoned, and explain their objections
to the other persons views, especially making it clear what views they are
objecting to, then it can be very valuable. And you can have much more input
and look at a problem from different perspectives. Some of which you may
never before considered.

There are are number of folks on this list who are on Grazersedge and
perhaps other lists that I am on, and they can attest to the fact that I try
to take a balanced approach and often see there are good points on both
sides of a discussion.

On final point. I did not bring up these discussions in the first place but
responded to others who began the discussion or in some cases attacked other
farmers or farm organizations. Thinking people respond to that.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers