market-farming - Re: drip tape pick-up and storage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: drip tape pick-up and storage
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:29:50 -0400

The final consideration (for me) is time. t-tape means a lot of time putting it down in the spring and taking it up in the fall. Sprinklers mean more time moving feeder hoses and sprinklers while watering. In the long run sprinklers are cheaper.

here here

I find t-tape to be a huge pain for hand cultivation (though I can see how it would fit in a tractor system) and even worse for weedwhacking around.

I also just don't trust the stuff and, in my experience, the 'inverted mushroom of moisure' that's supposed to allow the dripped water to feed plants 6 inches on either side of it, is just a straight shot to the depths of the earth, even in our clay loam (hmm, probably the downside of double-digging, eh?)

Thanks for your input, leigh

-Allan