market-farming - Re: drip tape pick-up and storage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: drip tape pick-up and storage
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:19:44 EDT

In a message dated 9/17/02 9:48:11 PM Central Daylight Time, kampy AT grm.net writes:

, what causes the damage to the tape

Hi  Marie.  The biggest problems are field mice.  They love to make their new homes under the plastic mulch and need something to make a new nest and the plactic t tape is just there for the use.

The t tape works better for us during dry weather because of above ground sprinklers lose to much water with evaporation when the weather has been as dry as last year.  I sprinkle new lettuce starts and something like that but the drip I use a pressure controller and just leave the water on those lines 24hr a day unless it rains, which it didn''t this year.   Where we didn't water we had NO crop.  According to the weather  service out of Omaha this wes the hottest and the dryest year since the 30's and what the heat didn't get the grasshoppers did.  They got in our hoophouse and in one afternoon completely destroyed 80 foot bed of lettuce.  Not been the best of years for insects. And no I don't have chickens and have no plans on getting chickens.

Phil from Iowa