market-farming - Re: drip tape pick-up and storage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: drip tape pick-up and storage
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 06:20:04 -0400

Personally, I think t-tape is crap and won't be installing it in the future,going to a more substantial product, perhaps soaker hose, perhaps metered pvc. I can see the value of t-tape in long runs in row crops on large acreage. I feel that a relatively small garden (7 acres) should be handled with a little more reliable system.

T-tape breaks, rodents chew into it, spiney plants grow through it, and, it clogs. Strangest for me was that t-tape that appeared to work fine last fall did not pass water this spring. I assume 'something' filled the emitters from the inside. The tape did not appear to be clogged otherwise.

I have gotten more than one season from the heavier t-tapes in the past.

I have to admit that in my CSA garden, plants watered overhead seem to do better than plants watered with drip tape, but I've never found other growers who agree with this observation.

After all is said and done, As environmentalists, we have disposal to
consider.

Just my two sense.

-Allan

Regards to the list:

Phil, what causes the damage to the tape? I thought drip tape would last 3 or 4 years. We are planning to install drip tape next spring. Plan to attend the Small Farm thing in Columbia this year. The bakery has closed - a guy bought the building and raised our rent. He wants to put in a bakery.

Marie in Missouri