market-farming - WINTER SQUASH - When Ripe?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: WINTER SQUASH - When Ripe?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:32:12 -0400

Well, as the wise man told me, the mildew from the big rain has caused the butternuts to rush to ripeness. But what IS ripe?

I've heard that a butternut is ripe if you can't press your thumbnail into it. Well, what does that mean? My thumbnail is easily sliding through most skins and 'drawing green' through the hide. Some skins, however, only dent. Am I supposed to wait to harvest until the skin is so hard that it won't even dent?

And, as an intern asked "How much pressure is 'enough' pressure?"

Thanks

-Allan